Thursday, December 01, 2005

Evite Fatigue

First off, it seems that the colds that Jenny and I have aren't all that bad - it looks like they should be completely gone by the time we head off to London next week.

So many things to do until then, though, one of which is sending out invitations for our (2nd annual) New Year's party. Which means resorting to evite. I'm not a big fan of evite. I can't quite identify the source of this dislike, since evite is actually very functional. If it weren't, it wouldn't be synonymous with online invitations the way that Google is with web searches. Maybe it's the ads. Maybe it's the cute little invitation templates. Maybe it's the fact that I seem to go months without getting a single evite, then get seven in one week - that should make me feel loved and appreciated, but my irrational animosity towards evite takes over instead.

And there aren't really any alternatives. Meetup.com and upcoming.org look like crap (I won't even link to them, that's how crappy they look). Hey geniuses at Google, can we get a googlized version of evite sometime soon?

Until then, I'm stuck with evite. And so are you! If you're reading this, I apologize in advance - an evite is likely coming your way soon. If it's not, it means that (a) I know you won't be in the area around New Year's, (b) I don't know you, or (c) I don't like you. So it's nothing personal, except for (c).

No comments: