Friday, June 24, 2005

Game 7

I'm not a big NBA fan by any measure, but I did watch Game 7 of the Finals last night. The NBA playoffs are a universe away from the NBA's regular season, because you get the sneaking suspicion that during the playoffs, the players actually care. Well, the players in this game definitely cared, as The Spurs beat the Pistons in an ugly but intense game. Tim Duncan was awesome. I remember seeing him a few times at Cole Field House when I was in school, leading Wake Forest to victory over the home team. No shame for the Terps, though, WF with Duncan won a lot of games in the mid-90s. Back then, everyone could see that he was good, a future NBA starter. But this good? He's been All-NBA 1st team for 8 seasons! (he's been in the NBA for...8 seasons). Anyway, Tim did everything last night in the second half after a less-than-impressive first half. And the Spurs are champs, not those thugs from Detroit, which is cool.

Unfortunately, I'm operating on 5 hours of sleep (I prefer at least 6) since the Finals games don't tip until around 9:30. What's up with that? And I know they were playing in San Antonio, but what's with Brooks & Dunn singing the National Anthem? Do NBA fans and country music fans really come from the same demographic pool? I wouldn't think so, but what do I know. About Brooks and Dunn, because I know you're all dying to know more about them; after some research this morning, I found out that Ronnie Dunn is the taller blonde one who looks like a country singer, while Kix (Kix?) Brooks looks very unlike a country singer when he's not wearing his black cowboy hat - actually I thought he looked a lot like Mandy Patinkin when I saw him on TV. It's smart of them to go by Brooks & Dunn though - I'm betting they'd sell a lot less records if they were known as Kix & Ronnie.

No comments: