Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Predictions

There's some large international sporting event starting today, with that in mind here are some predictions for standings at the end of the group round, just for fun, as if I know what I'm talking about (teams in bold move on, 3rd and 4th teams, better luck in South Africa). I would add commentary and defend these choices, but who am I kidding, most are just based on hunches anyway; I have no real in-depth knowledge of any of these teams. Although I'd be a happy guy for never again reading anything about Wayne Rooney's foot. Surely England isn't the only nation hyperventilating about its team, um squad, er...side - it just has the greatest concentration of tabloid/football press available to cover it, unfortunately.

A: Germany, Ecuador, Poland, Costa Rica
B: Paraguay, England, Sweden, Trinidad & Tobago
C: Netherlands, Argentina, Ivory Coast, Serbia & Montenegro
D: Portugal, Iran, Mexico, Angola
E: Czech Republic, USA, Italy, Ghana
F: Brazil, Japan, Australia, Croatia
G: Switzerland, France, South Korea, Togo
H: Spain, Ukraine, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia

4 comments:

Greg Pultorak said...

No Poland? A pox on your house!

underchuckle said...

Man, already getting grief for my picks...if it's any consolation, I will be rooting for Poland in today's match. Just not sure if they'll win. Other than that, my rooting interest is squarely with the US, followed at a distance by the host country (my mom's family's ancestry is almost 100% German).

Milena said...

yeah, the english are quite mad about their football. I am, too, this year. :) USA are playing June 1th, innit? Can't wait! Thank God Enlgand won the match on Saturday. Everyone was cheery!Go Germany, go!

Milena said...

Hey Brad, you guessed three groups right! Me only one. Half an hour Germany are playing Sweden, wish us luck! :)