Sunday, June 11, 2006

Cup Update, Part Zwei

Caught 2 more games, and halves of two others, since the last update. I'd have to say that Holland has been the most impressive team I've seen thus far, while the Eurotrash team award has to go to Serbia & Montenegro (with Sweden a very close second) - lots of half-shaven guys, a few mullets as well.

Sweden 0, Trinidad & Tobago 0: What can you say about the T&T effort. Last-second GK change, playing a man down in the second half - a fabulous defensive effort. Keeper Shaka Hislop, who played in college at Howard, was phenomenal. Sweden demonstrated the importance of finishing, a lesson that group leader England also needs to learn, and quickly. They dominated possession (60/40), were up a man for nearly half the match, and didn't get it done.

Netherlands 1, Serbia & Montenegro 0: Like I mentioned earlier, Holland looked sharp. I'd be surprised if there were a better passing team (other than Brazil, of course) in the tournament. I only saw the first half, and was somewhat surprised that Holland didn't score in the 2nd half. Also, I dig the all-orange look. The S&M defense was very good, but the one lapse was all the Dutch needed.

Mexico 3, Iran 1: I only saw the 1st half of this one as well, but Mexico looked really good. I was unsure if they'd make it out of the group, because they historically haven't played well in Cups hosted in Europe. But they look tough, and Iran was no pushover. Mexico kept the pressure on constantly in the first half, and was awarded a ton of free kicks. When I saw the final a bit late in the day, it wasn't too surprising. After seeing the Portugal match (see below), I'd say that Mexico should win its group.

Portugal 1, Angola 0: Another inspiring performance by an African squad, another mediocre performance by a heavily-favored European squad (see: England, Sweden). Portugal seems to have a ton of talent, but other than the first 20 minutes, didn't really do a whole lot. Yes, Angola's defense was solid - as solid as their attack was ineffectual - but still, Portugal had plenty of chances that they didn't convert. Maybe John Harkes is right, some of these favored teams seem to be easing into group play, not trying to do too much. Not what I'd call a winning strategy, but hey what do I know.

One final thought; I dig Harkes' commentary much more than his former teammate Marcelo Balboa's. Harkes brings some interesting insight, is obviously better-researched and more familiar with the top Euro-leagues, and stays positive and entusiastic. Balboa, while knowledgable, dwells on negatives and doesn't add much, in my oh-so-humble opinion.

No comments: