Saturday, June 24, 2006

Copa Mundial Procrastination

I was all set to head out to a few stores (grocery store, Lowe's) this morning after my morning run, but there was a problem: Germany v. Sweden. Fortunately, Deutschland scored twice in the first 12 minutes, so at the 30 minute mark I hit the road. With the U.S. out, Germany is my team now, and boy are they easy to root for. They play an exciting form of football, not at all like England's matches thus far, which have been some of the most boring in the tournament. With the capricious nature of goals, why hang back and wait for opportunities? Keep attacking, like Germany does! It's not only an entertaining form of football, but I think it's sound strategy as well. I was actually quite surprised that the final was 2-0, and that the home side didn't tack on a few more goals. Their defense - what I saw of it - looked solid as well. Next match versus Argentina won't be so easy (have I mentioned that I don't give Mexico much of a shot?).

Milena pointed out that for my group play predictions, I was three for eight. Not too bad, but I was hoping for at least fifty percent. What was I thinking with the U.S. and Iran picks?!? I should have known better than to pick the Great Satan and a member of the Axis of Evil to advance out of group play.

New blog links to your right - Aunty Milly and the Calscape.

1 comment:

Milena said...

Thanks for praising the style we're playing. I didn't know what to expect of our team erm *cough* squad, beforehand, so I was well surpsised when I saw them doing so well on the field. We have played Costa Rica, Poland, Sweden, Argentina, Italy and Portugal (Is that all? nooo It must have been more). I haven't seen all of the matches, but the ones I like best from the ones Ive seen we're the Poland, Sweden and Portugal match. Argentina was no good for my heart and fingernails and we we're more defending than showing off our attacking skills.