Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Bad Coffee Pacing, 10K Congestion

So I didn't pace myself too well with the coffee this morning, and by the time I got on the Metro after the train ride from Baltimore, I really had to pee. I figured I'd try to take my mind off it by leafing through a Washington Post Express. As fate had it, a very bad idea! What should I find in the Express, but a condensed version of this article. NOT COOL! But I did make it to the office without incident, so I can't bitch too much.

How did the Bridge Run go? Well, considering that I couldn't really get up to my pace until midway through the third mile, I was quite happy with my time of 54:05. Fifty thousand people really clog up a race course, I don't care how wide the course is. So I did the first two miles in about 9:15 each, started to pick up some speed by the third mile (8:53), tried to make up for lost time with a 7:46 fourth mile - fast for me - and then evened out with fifth and sixth miles of 8:34 and 8:31. It's amazing how big of a deal this run is down in Charleston. A local news station down there covers the whole run! Em & Dave Tivo-ed it, and we actually caught Dave and Barry on the coverage. Kinda neat. I think that all four of us were happy with our times, considering the slow going early on. Dave was his usual speedy self - I think I'm going to switch over to a new Diet Coke training regimen, since I suspect that's the secret of his success (it can't be the years of running, can it? Besides, who wants to work that hard?). And check this out: there were grilled Johnsonville Bratwurst available post-race, how sweet is that? From now on, I won't run a race that doesn't guarantee bratwurst at the finish line.

No comments: