Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Women's Basketball: Who Knew?

Yeah, I watched the entirety of the Terp Women's chamionship triumph last night. And yes, it was entertaining! Was it as compelling as some of the fantastic men's tourney games this year? Hell yeah! I have to admit, I'm surprised that it kept my attention - I've rarely allocated many of my sports viewing hours (and I probably devote hundreds of hours every year to sports viewing, as you might imagine) to women's sports, other than the odd tennis or soccer match, so I was pleasantly surprised. Then again, this game was played at a high level, so I might be disappointed to watch a more typical women's game, which would naturally have less at stake and therefore less intensity. It might in fact be the opposite of my recent NHL viewing experience; I may have been turned off by an atypically-poor level of play in that case, while in this case I'm drawn in by unusually-high level of play. Who knows.

What I do know, is that these Terps are champs, and considering who they beat makes it that much sweeter. Congrats to Brenda Freese and all of her Gurtles.

No comments: