Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Weekend

[I didn't add Bowl to the title for a reason; you never know these days when some trademark lawyer is gonna wake up in a bad mood and get overzealous with the cease-and-desist letters.]

Kind of a blah weekend, in terms of the weather, here in Charm City. But we managed to get out of the house despite the cold and rain, and after 3+ years in the city finally got library cards! Doesn't sound too exciting, I know, but Baltimore has a very good library system, and buying every book that we read starts to add up after a while (in terms of money and space - we are in serious need of a third bookshelf).

I also stopped by the local running store and picked up some shiny new shoes - the Saucony Grid Trigon 3!. The helpful person at the store confirmed what I already suspected, that I'm a neutral runner (I don't significantly roll my foot one way or the other); I did learn, though, that my foot would be happier in a size 11 than in the 10.5 I used to wear.

Now, on to the games. Yes, games, plural. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Terps' loss to N.C. State yesterday. Good effort, close game, oh well. Although I would like to call the Maryland coaching staff's attention to this element of modern basketball that they are apparently blissfully unaware of - please implement this for Mike Jones, it won't hurt a bit. Honest.

The Super Bowl? Eh, it was OK. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but how does any game that doesn't go to at least 3 overtimes live up to the Super Bowl hype? It doesn't. Especially a game with such terrible officiating. But nevermind the game, how about them Stones? I was somewhat taken aback by the reaction of many of the people I was watching the game with; outright disgust at the sight of a 60+ Mick Jagger prancing around the stage in the skintight pants. Isn't that what rock-n-roll is all about though? Sure it's ridiculous, inappropriate, self-destructive, even ugly at times, but that's what's so cool about it, and that's what Mick and the guys personify as well as any act still performing. Any opportunity to not act one's age should be embraced, and the Stones do that as well as anyone. I'd rather see that kind of energy on stage any day, rather than a bunch of guys who just stand around, sing, play, exit stage right. Might as well stay home and listen to the CD in that case, and save yourself some money.

No comments: