Monday, November 21, 2005

Terps B-Ball Is Back, But With an 'L'

I had to work a bit late today, so by the time I got home, I only caught the last eight minutes of the Terps' loss to Gonzaga in Maui. What I saw wasn't pretty, but according to the Post, they played pretty well against a higher-ranked team (as if the rankings mean much in November) for the first 30 minutes. The team I saw looked suspiciously like last year's team, standing around on offense, waiting for something to happen. Meanwhile, Gonzaga's players were flying around the court without the ball. With how athletic MD is, why aren't they doing more of that? The same old high post curl plays and ball reversals didn't seem to be getting it done. Where are the backdoor cuts, the screens for Mike Jones, some innovation in the offense? I think Gary's a great coach, and this team will certainly be better next month than they are right now. But these offensive sets aren't much to look at - the other team knows what Gary's version of the flex looks like by now. Now, that predictability isn't necessarily bad if executed properly, but right now I think it's making it harder for his inexperienced point guards to succeed at running the offense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with the Terps, sorry. But I thought you'd find eet amusing, nonetheless. (And I can't find your email so here we are.)

http://www.livejournal.com/users/syz/235458.html?view=1006530&style=mine#t1006530