Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Song Killer

At band practice last night - I play the role of the singer, although maybe vocalist is a better term after this post, unless one has a very liberal definition of "singing" - we tried a cover of the Beatles' Eight Days a Week for the first time. I was unfortunately caught in vocal no-man's land; the octave the song was written in was too high for my rather limited range, but dropping down an octave I sounded like Johnny Cash or Steven Wright singing the Beatles. Something was lost, to say the least. So I toughed it out in the written octave, and it sounded just perfect, not counting the occasional strangled animal sound during a high note. I've never been a Beatles fan, but I couldn't help but think that my abbattoir-soundtrack vocal stylings weren't doing any of the four any justice. The dead Beatles (John, George, Ringo's career) were surely spinning around in their graves.

No comments: