Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Poker Lesson #6,742,191

Never let an inexperienced player take you away from your game plan.

I generally don't play a lot of bad hands in poker. When I do get in trouble and lose a hand, it's usually late in the hand. I also have a tendency to bluff every once in a while when I have no business doing so. But if I don't get the cards, I rarely play the hand. When I do get the cards, I do what every other player with half-a-brain does, I use the other players' betting as clues to what they may have.

The only problem with this occurs when an opponent doesn't know what he/she is doing, plays hands that should be folded, and, worst of all, doesn't bet properly on good hands. I'd much rather lose to a good player who outplayed me than a bad player who didn't bet properly and lucked out on the River. All of this happened to me Friday night. Of course, I really have nobody to blame but myself. I wasn't patient enough, wasn't getting the cards, and ended up playing some hands that looked stronger than they were because of another player's non-betting. In the end though, nobody made me push the chips into the pot. After all, the game is all about self-control.

At least I didn't spill any food or drink on myself. And Jenny played well and came out a few bucks ahead. Unfortunately, we had to leave early so that we could get up at 6 am for a drive up to New York (for my cousin Adene's baby shower and to catch Jenny's brother Ben in Wicked). Otherwise, I bet she would have left with more $$. But what do I know, right? I was the first one to go out that evening.

No comments: