Monday, March 26, 2007

Rock Hall

We caught a bit of this year's induction ceremony for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame a few weeks ago, and this past weekend Jenny and I were perusing the list of inductees and speculating about who else should be in, both now and in the future (recording artists are first eligible 25 years after release of their first recording).

For performers who were definitely influences on rock, but who could probably make it in as performers also, I have to bring up electronic pioneers Kraftwerk (for the second post in a row!), and also surf guitar legend Dick Dale. I'm actually surprised that Dale hasn't already been inducted, and the electronic sound is such a part of rock/pop these days, I'm not sure how you can leave Kraftwerk out. Miles Davis was inducted in 2006, and I would argue that his relationship to rock is relatively tenuous, so I think a case could definitely be made for these two acts. Also, New York Dolls, maybe?

Performers who are already eligible (first record released in...um, let's call it 1981 or earlier), who should be inducted soon? We thought those should definitely include The Cure, and we thought a good case could also be made for both The Cars and Duran Duran. I just thought of another one this morning - Rush. One of my favorite bands growing up, Def Leppard, will probably miss the cut - yeah, they sold a lot of albums, but how influential was their sound? I think it's telling that KISS isn't an inductee, despite being eligible for a number of years. Am I missing anyone? Check the inductee list first; who is and isn't already in can be surprising.

Eligible within the next few years, that are "locks" to get in? Madonna and Metallica come to mind immediately. As for more modern acts, that's a longer list; maybe I'll save that for another post.

3 comments:

Dan Eisner said...

Will the Pixies make it?

underchuckle said...

I would argue that the Pixies should be in. Seems like punk and post-punk are currently under-represented (kinda like 3B in the baseball HOF).

Oooh, just thought of a few more decent candidates - Dire Straits, and Run DMC (Grandmaster Flash just got in this year, FYI)

underchuckle said...

I agree - looking at the list of inductees, it's rare to see a name that wouldn't be recognized by most people. Commercial success/name recognition is obviously a factor. That's why you're probably right about the Cure and the Pixies. I mean, Tom Waits isn't in yet, and I'm pretty sure that he'd get in before the Pixies do.