Monday, January 30, 2006

A Birthday Conspiracy

Jenny and my parents arrived at my office Friday around noon, with my sister Em as a special surprise guest! (Jenny had flown her in from Charleston) We proceeded to the National Zoo - my Mom's idea, she's a panda fanatic - and that evening Jenny and I trekked back to the Charm City for a fantastic birthday dinner at Sascha's. Little did I know then, that the festivities weren't yet over....

Saturday - my parents and Em were going to come out to Baltimore for dinner with us that night; a dual celebration of mine and Em's birthdays (hers is today, happy birthday Em!!!), or so I thought. Jenny claimed that she had to go into the office that afternoon, since she was out all day on Friday. Very plausible; I didn't think twice about it. Nor did I think twice when she claimed early that evening that she left her cell phone at the office; again, very believable, since she's been known to forget or misplace things from time to time. I also wasn't suspicious about Barry & Helen wanting to watch the end of My Cousin Vinnie on TV instead of heading out to eat earlier than planned (everyone was already hungry around 7, reservations were for 8) - after all, they love that movie.

But then again, I didn't have any reason to be suspicious! I had thought that something was going on for the last few weeks, with Jenny on the phone with my mom a few times per week, but when Em showed up I figured hey, that was it. Nope. Most everyone who's reading this knows the rest - I show up at DuClaw in Fells Point, everyone's there, I am genuinely surprised, we drink, eat, mingle; a good time is had by all!

Now for the second round of birthday thank-yous! Thanks again to the whole family - Barry, Helen, and Em for helping out with the planning and the photo album, and Dave, Amy, and Matt for all your love (I know you all would have been there if you could; get well soon Amy!). Thanks to everyone who showed up, especially the LTIers who made the journey from DC - special thanks to Scott for coordinating with Jenny to make sure I didn't inadvertently spoil any plans - and our Patterson Park neighbors for taking time to celebrating with a guy that they don't know too well. Finally, to the wife of the year, Jenny - what can I say, you pulled it off marvelously, babe. It's gonna be tough to top that in another year-and-a-half, when it comes time to celebrate your second 29th birthday....I'm up to the challenge though (mwaahahhah!!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww....

(I kinda knew that was coming up because Jen mentioned it in one of her phone calls. Glad to know the whole thing was pulled off fabulously.)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday shout-out, bro! Love you! I'm so glad I got to celebrate your 30th with you in person (thanks for the flight, once again!) :)