Sunday, August 28, 2005

If It Was 10 Miles, Why Didn't You Just Drive?

I'm not sure if I preferred last year's weather, 93 and 50% humidity, or this year's, around 80 and 90% humidity. Anyway, I only got about six hours sleep because we got home from Frederick at about 11:30 and I had to be up at 5:30. But I'm used to that amount, so I don't think it affected me that much. I did improve on last year's time by a decent margin. I think that was more mental than physical though. I've been running more this year than last, but not a great deal more considering the solid 2 months of hot and humid weather we had. I think that my familiarity with the course this year made all the difference.

So without further ado, the numbers!

2004 total time - 1:36:32
2005 total time - 1:32:20

That's right, an improvement of over 4 minutes! Not too bad, I was hoping to get a bit closer to 90 minutes for a total time, but I'll take a 4-minute improvement. Now, I don't have splits from last year to compare with; I thought that I had started my timer at the beginning of the race, but I didn't press the button hard enough. Oh well.

2005 mile splits:
1 - 9:31
2 - 8:58
3 - 9:06
4 - 9:03
5 - 9:44
6 - 9:05
7 - 9:24
8 - 9:12
9 - 9:11
10 - 9:03

average mile - 9:14

So those were about as consistent as it gets (for me, at least), although looking at them I'm wondering if I could have pushed it a little more early on. But I knew that the second half of the course was especially brutal, so it was probably a good thing that I took it easy for that first mile, when the tendency is to start too quickly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo, bro....who are all these jerks?!! Attack of the killer spam bloggers I guess.

Anyway, you rock on the race-Dave and I might have to try and make it up next year for it-provided you make it down for the Bridge Run next April. Oh yeah!

Anonymous said...

I'm still very proud of you over here.