Thursday, October 27, 2005

Random Musings

Congrats to the White Sox for sweeping the Astros in the World Series. Now, is it too much to ask that the Series not be a sweep next year? Houston should have seen this coming - you sign Roger Clemens and his ego, and bad things always happen.

Any chance that Baltimore can land now-marquee free agent 1B Paul Konerko? I believe the answer is no.

Over at Daily Kos, kos himself has been eagerly awaiting what he refers to as Fitzmas. As have I - where are the indictments? Let's get these guys locked up! And throw Dick 'torture is fine by me, as long as the experts at the CIA are in charge' Cheney in there too. Please?!?

Speaking of the CIA, I see tourists walking around D.C. all the time with FBI and CIA hats on. How is that cool? Those agencies have not exactly been known for their competence in recent years. It's like visiting Los Angeles and stocking up on Clippers merchandise - what's the point? OK, I guess I can sort of understand the CIA gear, if the tourist is a big torture fan.

I'm currently reading Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, and while I still have 200+ pages to go, so far I don't see what the big deal is. Perhaps once I finish the book, I'll better understand the rationale - if one can even use that word to describe the call for the murder of a writer due to a work of fiction - behind the Ayatollah Khomeini's 1989 fatwa. But I sincerely doubt it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, here, the tourists dress up as inmates from Alcatraz.