Thursday, January 21, 2010

The New Plutocracy: Now, With More Pluto!

I resolved to myself recently that I would try to limit new entries related to our beloved federal government & politics, and today's Supreme Court ruling that strikes down a lot of campaign finance limits, makes me feel so much better about that decision. I honestly don't know that it makes much sense to vote - in national/federal elections - anymore.

Not that corporations always have it wrong, or are inherently evil. Far from it. But once again, how is the Constitution interpreted so that corporation (legal entity) = citizen (human)? James Fallows is correct: our government, stagnated by corruption, dysfunctional as hell, is simply not keeping up with the rest of the nation. The only worthwhile national voting left is with our money - to appeal to those that really run the show, purchase (or abstain from purchasing) products and services that reflect the direction in which you'd like the country to go. Unfortunately, Congress & the Executive Branch are just middlemen now. You get the best deal by cutting out the middleman, right? Too bad that the private sector is really not that efficient/cost-effective/honest when it comes to providing some services (see: health care / military spending / Wall Street, respectively).

5 comments:

Greg Pultorak said...

I guess this is about you:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/01/will-base-abandon-hope.html

underchuckle said...

Kind of, yeah. Although I don't necessarily consider myself a 'big D' Democrat anymore.

We need at least 2 or 3 more parties to shake things up in DC, but that's not happening in our lifetime.

Ryon said...

I would definitely put myself down as more liberal, but I don't think that has anything to do with D vs R. I'm registered Independent. I think U.C.'s got the point that there needs to be more parties, or people able to vote with thier $$, but everyone needs oil, electricity, banks healthcare of one sort, so that's a stunted growth. We need at least 2 or 3 more parties to shake things up in DC, BUT WE ARE THE ONES THAT CAN DO THAT. You must be the change you want to see in the world.

Ryon said...

ACTUALLY you nkow I think this could be a net positive: now ALL laws should apply to them, now, right? Bad behaviour is given some well needed community service, and what about jail time.

What if, say a corporation is responsible for one murder, jail time for a person would be 20 years. Perhaps the stockholders could be beholden to serve the % portion of the sentence: IE if you own 50% stock, you have to do 10 years in jail, share holders who own, say, 1/365th of the stock will have to serve 20 days each.

I think this is a good idea.

Ryon said...

I'd be interested to hear you weigh in on this one:
http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/weblogs/pressthink/2010/02/21/innocence.html