Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Back in Business

Now that I have the PE (Professional Engineer) exam out of the way, I can get back to some writing. Unfortunately, I probably won't have much time today, so I'll just link to some solid, if somewhat intuitive, observations about next week's election, courtesy of one of the bloggers over at Balkinization.

The point about Senate over-representation by small states has always been a fascinating argument to me, because I believe that the original intent of the Constitution was to ensure that smaller states had an equal say in national affairs. But why? Why should a vote in North Dakota count much more, in terms of the make-up of the Senate, than a vote in New York? And will that advantage in small states that Republicans still be around in 50 years, as Midwest and Great Plains states' traditional industries continue to die out, concentrating populations in those states' big cities, complete with large immigrant populations and racial, ethnic, and cultural -gasp- diversity? This is based on my assumption that the charming people in fillinnameofredstate wouldn't be nearly as terrified of all those people that didn't look and act like them, if they had a few more of them living next door. Call me naive, it's just a hunch.

No comments: