Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Political Losers

Every single candidate that I voted for in the major (competitive) races in yesterday's Democratic primary has lost or is losing! Not a terrible thing in any of the races, but still the results are a bit discouraging in 2 of the 3 races, where the status quo won out.

U.S. Senate: I voted for Mfume, but it looks like Cardin is going to win by 7 or 8 points. I'm not bothered by this at all because I think Cardin will be a fine Senator, however I did like Mfume as a guy who would stir things up a bit; Cardin seemed like more of the same, and I thought Mfume's criticism of Cardin's acceptance of almost $1 million in lobbyist money was quite valid.

Comptroller: Usually not a big race, but any election that could potentially remove crazy (senile?) incumbent Schaefer was an important one. I voted for Janet Owens, since she was polling well ahead of Peter Franchot, the guy I really wanted to vote for, but felt that it was more important for Schaefer to lose. Well, it's close but it looks like Franchot will win after all, so this is actually an ideal result.

MD-3: Long-time Baltimore Helath Commissioner Peter Beilenson was my guy, but unsurprisingly he came in second by 6 points to John, Son of Sarbanes. Sarbanes will likely be perfectly competent in the House, but there are far too many 'hereditary' seats in Congress as it is.

1 comment:

Greg Pultorak said...

I voted for Cardin and Franchot and was very happy to see them win. Down with Mfume!