Monday, July 31, 2006

Patio, Heat Wave, & (scumbag) John Bolton

After six or seven hours Saturday, and another five yesterday, I'm almost done with our new stone patio. I probably need another half a day though, and with the latest heat wave hitting this week, it probably won't be finished until next weekend.

Speaking of heat, it's reaching the ludicrous level this summer. Highs of 102 on Tuesday and Wednesday? If we wanted summers as shitty as this, we'd move to Vegas or Phoenix. So what's it all mean; is a heat wave really a sign of global warming? Well, not one individual incident. But collectively - yes, and get used to it (but be glad you don't live in Southern California).

Finally: the more I read/see/hear about John Bolton, the more I'm convinced that he's not only a terrible diplomat, but also probably needs to work on becoming a likable human being. His latest thoughts on the Israel-Lebanon mess deny moral equivalence to Israeli and Lebanese civilian deaths, giving more weight to the Israeli deaths. This guy is our U.N. ambassador? How the hell did that happen, that the one person in the entire executive branch who should not be chosen for that post is the guy who holds the job?

2 comments:

Greg Pultorak said...

Three comments. 1) The heat sucks. Its like 109 with the "heat index" in Chicago and I couldn't get anyone to go to Wrigley with me last night. So I can't add Wrigley to my list of baseball stadiums. We went bowling instead. 2) Equating today's heat with global warming is naive and driving people away from embracing the facts about climate change. 3) Who cares who the ambassador to the UN? I can't imagine that ANYthing will be different with a different guy in there.

underchuckle said...

Response:

1 - you need to get new co-workers, bowling should never be considered as a substitute for going to Wrigley. And I actually like bowling.

2 - This heat wave isn't some harbinger of doom, but their frequency is likley to increase, at least based on everything I've read. There's more science behind increases in heat waves than there is behind increases in hurricane frequency, which is quite a popular idea these days.

3 - I don't think our UN ambassador usually does that much either, but this guy can actually do serious damage, in that a country that doesn't hate us already will start to, every time this guy opens his mouth. As opposed to a regular appointment, who would do nothing (a good thing, relatively speaking). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think our UN ambassador has done much of note since the Cuban Missile Crisis.