Thursday, May 04, 2006

Seven Tons, Three Hours

As of last Friday, the concrete is gone from our back "yard"! I thought I had a 'before' pic, but I think I must have deleted it, so you'll have to make do with the 'after' pic, and the shot of me and the dumpster full of concrete. Not too bad in terms of home improvement projects; it only took about six months from the time I hammered up the concrete, to get it removed! Thanks to Dad for all the help, and the use of the trailer.

I know what you're thinking though. Exaggeration. Surely, it wasn't seven tons. Maybe, maybe not. But check out the numbers. A 13.5' X 20' area (actually, a bit larger). Concrete that was 6" deep - or even thicker - in most spots. Let's be waaaay conservative, and say it was an average of four inches thick. That's 89 cubic feet of concrete. A search of the internets - the concrete internet, specifically - reveals that the density of concrete is around 150 lbs/cf. That's 6.7 tons right there! Not too bad for three hours of work.

Afterwards, we drank beers, went to the O's game (they won), while there we ate and drank more beer. All in all, a productive Friday.

No comments: